Duror Kirk was the first ‘Parliamentary’ church built in Scotland. The building was designed by Thomas Telford and the completion date is given as 21st August 1827, the final cost being £1,450. The land was given by Robert Downie of Appin and the first minister was the Rev Donald MacNaughton, previously minister of Glencoe.
Scottish Charity Number SC018259
The present church building which had been transformed from an old mission church into a ‘fine building with a square tower’ ordained their first minister, the Rev Peter MacGregor, in January 1891. The first Kirk Session was formed in April of that year, and later a Session Clerk was appointed as well as a Committee of Management. The first Sacrament of Communion was held in August, in Gaelic at 11am and in English at 6.30pm. The church later built their first Manse next to the church at Brecklet in 1896.
Scottish Charity Number SC005211
Saint Fintan Munnu, Munn or Munda, lived in the late sixth or early seventh century. He probably came from Ireland and was connected with Saint Columba. It is suggested that at one point he was designated as Columba’s successor in Iona but in fact returned to Ireland after a time spent travelling and preaching on the west coast of Scotland – hence Eilean Munde in Loch Leven and the churches of St Mun and St Munda in Ballachulish.